• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Anyone have or looking at the Sigma 65mm f2?

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Anyone try the new Sigma 65mm f2 DG DN, part of Sigmas new I series? All metal construction with an aperture ring, plus somewhat weather sealed for only $700 US, what's not to like?

Since getting into Sony 2-1/2 years ago I have been looking for a lens slightly longer than 50mm that renders beautifully, like my Nikon 58mm f14G lens was designed to do for my previous Nikon setup. Have the FE 55 f1.8ZA and while a very good lens, its rendering is a bit busy for portraits in my opinion plus it does have at times some swirly bokeh. Been looking online at photo samples of this new Sigma lens and its rendering is very good, especially close up. While I have the Batis 85mm, it is a great lens, I find it a bit too long in F/L for closeup portraits or inside use. I used the AOV/FOV Visualizer (vahonen.info) and was surprised at how the 65mm length fit my kit better (mathematically anyway) than my 85mm, which is too similar to the 135 Batis. The 65 seems to split the difference between the 35 and 135 lenses much better, see below.

Anyway got a good deal on GT (15% off inc. tax) and one is on the way. Plan on using it at a big special event in a couple of weeks (1st one since pandemic started in early 2020) at a Thai Buddhist Temple where I will be photographing around 200 guests inside 2 different buildings, plus on the grounds. Plan on bringing my 35mm GM and this new Sigma 65.

20-35-65-135 AOV Lenses.jpg
   ---            

Last edited:

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Sigma has some fantastic options for the E-Mount. Many are the equal to or even better than the similar Sony offerings and often quite a bit cheaper.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
But in general autofocus seems to be not as fast and not as reliable as comparable Sony lenses.
That seems to be the general consensus on Sigma lenses for Sony. Dustin Abbot in his Sigma 65mm review showed the AF in AF-C working just fine but did mention it hunted briefly in very low light situations. Funny, but both my Batis lenses, the 85 and 135, have superb AF and are just as fast as any of my Sony lenses. Don't know why Sigma can't get it right.

My FE 55 f1.8ZA lens focuses lightening fast, but the swirly bokeh and not great rendering is why I am interested in the Sigma 65. From the online samples I have seen the new 65mm bokeh and rendering is better than the 55, so if the AF is a tiny bit slower, that will be OK. Anyway the lens shipped today :thumbsup: so I will know soon enough.

Last edited:

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Anyone try the new Sigma 65mm f2 DG DN, part of Sigmas new I series? All metal construction with an aperture ring, plus somewhat weather sealed for only $700 US, what's not to like?

Since getting into Sony 2-1/2 years ago I have been looking for a lens slightly longer than 50mm that renders beautifully, like my Nikon 58mm f14G lens was designed to do for my previous Nikon setup. Have the FE 55 f1.8ZA and while a very good lens, its rendering is a bit busy for portraits in my opinion plus it does have at times some swirly bokeh. Been looking online at photo samples of this new Sigma lens and its rendering is very good, especially close up. While I have the Batis 85mm, it is a great lens, I find it a bit too long in F/L for closeup portraits or inside use. I used the AOV/FOV Visualizer (vahonen.info) and was surprised at how the 65mm length fit my kit better (mathematically anyway) than my 85mm, which is too similar to the 135 Batis. The 65 seems to split the difference between the 35 and 135 lenses much better, see below.

Anyway got a good deal on GT (15% off inc. tax) and one is on the way. Plan on using it at a big special event in a couple of weeks (1st one since pandemic started in early 2020) at a Thai Buddhist Temple where I will be photographing around 200 guests inside 2 different buildings, plus on the grounds. Plan on bringing my 35mm GM and this new Sigma 65.

View attachment 115369
is this chart drawing avaliable, or did you design it?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
He mentions the web site in his post but not as a direct link, which is https://vahonen.info/fov/. Simple but slick tool I often look at when considering changing up my lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom