• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Epson 3880 and Mac OS-X 10.13.2

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Well, seems like my 3880 is a boat anchor at this time, after I updated the OS to High Sierra. It prints images way desaturated but overly contrasty, and most times in portrait orientation regardless of how I set the "page setup". I saw also in the printer status box (while printing) a small "i" icon; when I clicked that I get a message that I need to d/l new software from the Apple app store to "use the device". When I opened the App Store/Updates I see a printer driver update (v3.3) for the 3880. After it installed, I see a "new" Epson 3880 printer, but the pull-down menus are blank or just gibberish, see these screenshots. Note that the media type box is just blank and I cannot access any types of paper. I have no clue what all the other stuff represents. Like I said above, the printer is useless at this time.

Epson Support website says they are developing new software for 10.13.2. I'm not sure if that is what I already d/l from the Apple app store, or something separate.

I hope this is just a "minor" issue that can be fixed, and not a major issue like (e.g.) Apple no longer supports the 3880.

Anyone else having these problems? I plan to call Epson support when I get time.
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 3.39.34 PM.png
   ---            
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 3.40.27 PM.png
   ---            

uffesven

New to TalkEmount
Hi!
I got exactly the same problem as you did..
To fix it I downloaded the "Uninstaller" from Epson websupportpage for 3880. Then uninstalled the old Epson 3880 printer driver with the "Uninstaller", restarted the Mac
and reinstalled Epson 3880 printer driver (v. 9.33) and then it worked again. You can try the same. I am using Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.2.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
uffesven, thanks! Yes, uninstalling then reinstalling the 3880 did the trick. I found this on Apple's support site

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device

I think I'm using the Apple driver (v3.3) rather than the Epson Driver v9.33 that is about 15-months old. Not sure if there is any difference with the 3880 though.

uffesven

New to TalkEmount
Good to hear firemist!
I think the Apple driver is more basic, for instance I am printing a lot of B/W and I miss Advanced B/W Photo with the Apple printer driver.

Latest threads

Top Bottom