• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Eye-AF in A6500

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
The a6000 is Sony's best selling camera with good reason. A lot of people just want a nice camera to take pictures of family vacations and pets and birds at the feeder, and the 6000 is inexpensive and does all that well, with the option of upgrading to better lenses as you go.

And some savvy people start buying FE lenses and upgrade into the A7 series later.

I had the 28-70mm FE for a while and got great results. The biggest "problem" was that on the APS-C sensor, 42mm was just a bit tight for me and I eventually went with the 18-135mm instead for longer range on both ends

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I own an A7iii plus the A6400 and A6600... It;s different horses for different courses... However, when I have to do a lot of moving around. I will normally grab either the 6400 or A6600 or perhaps both... When I grab my camera for a dog shot or two, I have been using my A6600 with zTamron 28-75mm lens...

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I own an A7iii plus the A6400 and A6600... It;s different horses for different courses... However, when I have to do a lot of moving around. I will normally grab either the 6400 or A6600 or perhaps both... When I grab my camera for a dog shot or two, I have been using my A6600 with zTamron 28-75mm lens...
It is a great thing to be able to use FF lenses on both FF and APS-C bodies

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Sony's naming convention is confusing as hell.

After the mess that was the A6300, (Overheating was a real issue for some), the A6500 came out with IBIS which a lot of folks were/are excited about.

Then the A6400 came out with some huge improvements that had included Eye Auto Focus but no IBIS.

And now the A6100 and A6600 are available and the A6000 is still listed as available. The A6100 and A6600 both have Eye AF with the A6600 having IBIS.

Seriously, you need a decoder ring to understand all the APS-C models.

I'm currently shopping the A6400 as a replacement for my A6000
Wow maybe I need Lyra's alethiometer to decode Sony's APS-C lines and models :laugh1:

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I know this is completely off topic-ish. . . sorry ahead of time. I love my a6500. But i'm supremely jealous of the a6600 zed battery. It hurts.
I would love it if they re did the a6xxx series with the same treatment the a7r4 and a9ii buttons received... they just feel better... and bring us out of the touch screen stone age already!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
The A6500 with a battery grip would be just a bit larger and weigh just a bit more than the A6600 but, would provide you with approximately the same battery power. The vertical shutter button on the grip is a plus also...

I guess that we all thought the A6500 would be replaced with the Mini A9 that everyone was talking about, But, that just didn't happen...

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I use a Meike battery grip on my a6500 when I'm shooting birds. It's shocking how fast that first battery drops when you're shooting in high speed. And it drops twice as fast in cold weather.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I use a Meike battery grip on my a6500 when I'm shooting birds. It's shocking how fast that first battery drops when you're shooting in high speed. And it drops twice as fast in cold weather.
I've said it before, a greater engineer than I could still profit. there is a market.. though dwindling... for a Battery grip that takes a zed battery (or 2) and adapts to the cameras stuck with the W series battery.. .. .. I long for something ez, and open source. But don't have the time to devote to developing something like this.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
As to battery, I just know the limits having shot now with 5 different NEX/Alpha cameras and have three batteries.

For me personally, I have never shot more than 300 pictures in a day so I'm good but I know some people are heavier shooters (especially if you shoot video) and the batteries are a concern.

Latest threads

Top Bottom