• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

G master aperture ring

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
EDIT
Silly me. The ring does turn. We just have to do it a little bit harder than moving among apertures. :doh:

-
I finally received a Sony a7III and 3 G master lens.
I have so far unboxed the 24 and the camera.
To my surprise the ring of the aperture doesn't rotate to the Auto position.
Is that "normal" ?
I always thought that when in "normal" I would be able to control the aperture with the camera as it happens with Panasonic/Leica 42.5mm

The lens on the left is shown on American Sony site. The other on the right, is mine. They are not exactly the same but that is not important, I think !
I have to go and unbox the others.

Any tips, please ? Thanks ! :)

i-Wg4t8D7-M.jpg
   ---            

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I don't have this lens (I wish!) but it should be able to go to 'A' as that is how you enable the camera to control aperture, as you wanted. From what I have read, I believe there is a switch on the lens to de-click it; if that is on de-click mode maybe it would prevent using 'A'. Another remote possiblity - maybe you have to have it mounted to turn to 'A", so if it was off-camera try that.

Totally guessing but maybe one of these will fix it.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thank you Bob ! :)
I was a bit naive, in fact.
I just had to turn the ring (the aperture ring on the lens) a little more "power"
Now the lens is at A and the Aperture is controlled by camera while when it is somewhere else it is the ring which controls the Aperture.

The switch is to turn the sound off when making videos.
I have posted somewhere my first picture with this combo and I am really amazed with the quality of the result.
I still have Olympus 5 Mk II with pretty good lens but this... oh this... ;)

i-RbzczPn-X3.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 24mm F1.4 GM    24mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    ISO 100

Latest threads

Top Bottom