• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

I signed up for a photography class

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Our new computers have AMD Radeon RX 580X 4GB GDDRV cards in them. I can't imagine that is going to be too limiting but I'm not sure.
A quik google search shows they support HDMI 4k output.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
That looks like a decent graphics card. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions.
  • How big do I want to go? This is going to partly depend on your chosen resolution (next question) and also budget, as well as simple personal preference.
  • How many pixels do I want? 1920x1080 is still rather common but especially with a bigger monitor (last question), I would look for either 2k or 4k (also see 'budget'). If you print, some say 2k is better than 4k in terms of fidelity between monitor and printer.
  • Color gamut - get as close as you can to AdobeRGB for accurate colors (incidentally you can set this in your cameras as well).
  • Budget, obviously, will affect all of the above options. I would prioritize color gamut over size/resolution for photography.
In addition to google searching, I suggest narrowing it down some on a large shopping site, e.g. Amazon has a pretty good set of filters. Then see which of the ones that appeal to you show up in google searches, or how well they are reviewed on (preferably) reliable sites. There was a rather lengthy discussion a while back on monitors over at FM that might be worth digging up, but there are a lot of pros there for whom money is not much consideration. Some of their monitor's prices will make your eyes water.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I prefer the 2nd (A7ii) shot as well. The white balance is better, without the yellow hue. Curious.... Were the cameras' white balance settings the same?
Given the static subject and tripod usage, I never consider such a high ISO, always as low as possible, ISO 100 even and lengthen the shutter time instead. If you had a train set in motion, that's a different story. Although some blur is cool for the speed effect.
Looks like there is a fair amount of natural light hitting the wall behind the tree.. it may be fluctuations in the natural light playing tricks on sony's AWB ... I've made the mistake of shooting videos outdoors in cloudy weather set to AWB.. big no-no I learned quickly. as the changing light will drastically change the AWB while shooting... which can make you look kinda wonky at times

• Informative
Reactions: WNG

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Dell Ultrasharp monitors are (still?) tested and calibrated before they leave the factory, and come with the report. I don't know how long that remains true, but at least you know that you have started in the right place.

I also suspect that if I was serious about colour accuracy then it would be a must to address the motley collections of lights that make up the ambient light in which I view my monitor.

I've never got the testing device and the calibration software. I'm not printing, nor am I preparing photos for publication.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Appreciate the comments everyone.
I think I found a monitor worth investing in:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lenovo-thinkvision-p27u-10

Has pretty good color specs, a versatile stand so should be adaptable to both our work spaces and has an audio out jack for some speakers which I'll have to get for her as she listens to sewing videos on her computer all the time. Her current monitor has built-in's.
Comments welcome as always.
Oh yeah, my son says that our granddaughter is willing to get her grandmother a new monitor for Christmas so that eased the financial burden some on grandpa. (Did I tell you I have great kids and grandkids?)

Latest threads

Top Bottom