• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

In the middle of 28 and 85..

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
...on an A7ii.
I've just bounced back to Sony and want to field a value packed two/three lens kit. The 28 and 85 are a no brainer for me.
In fact I could probably make due with just the two.
I actually have the 50 1.8 FE but would like something a little faster to focus and maybe a little wider.

What say my fellow Talkemounters?

1. Sell the 50mm and add nothing
2. 35 2.8 Samyang - too close to 28?
3. 45 1.8 Samyang - this could be good. Maybe out of my budget?
4. Keep the 50 1.8 FE
5. MC-11 and Canon 40 2.8 - is AF worst than the 50?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I had partial success with the A6500 and the 40mm f/2.8 Canon adapted with the MC-11. However the AF was not up to the standards of the 50mm F/1.8 OSS (APSC lens) on the A6500. I don't know about the 50mm FE 1.8 lens...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hi John, did you update the 50mm 1.8 FE to the latest FW? If not, the new update speeds up performance significantly. Also the Sam/Rok 35mm 2.8 is too close to the 28mm in my opinion, while the 28mm has better AF performance, contrast and build quality. What's interesting to note is the 50mm 1.8 FE focuses much faster on the newer Sony bodies, enough so that I prefer the 50mm 1.8 over the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 FE lens!

BTW - The Canon 40mm STM is quite sharp and I like it optically and build-wise over the Samyang. If I was a Canon R or RP camera owner, I'd totally adapt this lens!

Sample from the Canon 40mm STM + A7II:
31121109402_3ea88235b9_b.jpg
ILCE-7M2    DT 0mm F0 SAM    40mm    f/2.8    1/3200s    ISO 100

stroll_losangeles_002
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I had partial success with the A6500 and the 40mm f/2.8 Canon adapted with the MC-11. However the AF was not up to the standards of the 50mm F/1.8 OSS (APSC lens) on the A6500. I don't know about the 50mm FE 1.8 lens...

Thanks Richard.

Hi John, did you update the 50mm 1.8 FE to the latest FW? If not, the new update speeds up performance significantly. Also the Sam/Rok 35mm 2.8 is too close to the 28mm in my opinion, while the 28mm has better AF performance, contrast and build quality. What's interesting to note is the 50mm 1.8 FE focuses much faster on the newer Sony bodies, enough so that I prefer the 50mm 1.8 over the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 FE lens!

BTW - The Canon 40mm STM is quite sharp and I like it optically and build-wise over the Samyang. If I was a Canon R or RP camera owner, I'd totally adapt this lens!

Sample from the Canon 40mm STM + A7II:
View attachment 104390
stroll_losangeles_002 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Firmware is up to date on the 50mm. It's speed isn't that bad and I do like the output and the price. I'd like something slightly wider but looking at it overall it's minor.

Thanks for the 40 sample. I think I need to stay away from the MC-11 and TAP for now. Lenses will start multiplying. ( :

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If 40mm strikes your fancy, you might look at the Batis 40/2. Or if manual focus is OK, the Voigtlander 40/1.2 has a certain je ne sais quoi many find appealing (myself included).

And there is the venerable 55/1.8.

We have a relative embarrassment of riches in lenses to choose from these days versus even just a couple of years ago.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks Richard.

Firmware is up to date on the 50mm. It's speed isn't that bad and I do like the output and the price. I'd like something slightly wider but looking at it overall it's minor.

Thanks for the 40 sample. I think I need to stay away from the MC-11 and TAP for now. Lenses will start multiplying. ( :

I'd just keep your 50mm. You already have the 28mm, so if you need wider you're covered. GAS is a terrible affliction! Lol

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Yeah, if it's value oriented, the 3 lenses will cover a range nicely for you for most shoots. The speed of the FE 50 f/1.8 is dependent on the generation body it's attached to. That's as fast as the AF is going to be on the 2nd gen bodies.
You can keep AF set to AF-C and pre-focus to cut down on focus hunting. Keep the focus to the center.

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
Yeah, if it's value oriented, the 3 lenses will cover a range nicely for you for most shoots. The speed of the FE 50 f/1.8 is dependent on the generation body it's attached to. That's as fast as the AF is going to be on the 2nd gen bodies.
You can keep AF set to AF-C and pre-focus to cut down on focus hunting. Keep the focus to the center.

AF-C works pretty good with the 50. Thanks. I think part of my initial disappointment was because I kept running into the minimum focus distance.

Now it’s all fine and dandy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom