• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Lenses to take to Tokyo

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
There are things you can do to try and mitigate focus issues, e.g. zone focusing, or using a smaller aperture so as to have enough DoF that your subject is acceptably sharp.

Perhaps this is going to be a silly question, but are you saying that choosing the focusing mode in camera will help with a manual focus lenses?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Zone focussing is a technique, not something you choose in camera. See if this helps.
https://www.slrlounge.com/what-is-zone-focusing-and-how-do-you-use-it/

That said, these are clearly new concepts for you so you probably don't have time before your trip to feel comfortable enough using them to capture good images. Use an autofocus lens for now and if still interested, look at it when you come back.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
That said, these are clearly new concepts for you so you probably don't have time before your trip to feel comfortable enough using them to capture good images.
I fully agree.
So I'm kinda back to square 1. I suppose an 85mm would be OK and discreet enough for city scenarios and some candid street shots, but then again a 70-200 would probably come in handy when I get out of the city... Buying both would be an overkill.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I fully agree.
So I'm kinda back to square 1. I suppose an 85mm would be OK and discreet enough for city scenarios and some candid street shots, but then again a 70-200 would probably come in handy when I get out of the city... Buying both would be an overkill.

The 85mm is easier to pack and travel with, plus it doubles as a low light short telephoto. If you go with that as your long lens, you can go 16-35mm, 35mm and 85mm. You can bring the 55mm as well, but I think the 35/85 should be sufficient. If you opt for the 70-200mm, I'd go with 16-35mm, 55mm and 70-200mm, to spread out the coverage.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hi again!
Quick question - any good places for camera gear shopping in Osaka/Kyoto?

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Those of you who have been to Tokyo... Is it worth it to bring my tripod with me? I'd rather travel as light as possible but...

acnomad

TalkEmount Rookie
Those of you who have been to Tokyo... Is it worth it to bring my tripod with me? I'd rather travel as light as possible but...
I wouldn't, unless I knew in advance that I had a shot that would require one. Tokyo is very crowded.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will

I agree with the above post, unless you are certain about using it at specific shoots that require one, it's added bulk and weight. If you think you may need it for nightscapes, then pack something more portable like a GorillaPod. Or put together one of these and keep it in your pocket....

35582363605_aa0fb27f91_b.jpg
ILCE-6000    ----    0mm       1/1s    ISO 100
DIY-TIP by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

I made it from a spare small ball head and generic photography equipment clamps. If I need a steady platform, I can attach it to a rail, pipe, branch, my bike, etc.
A lot of places now don't allow you to bring in a tripod or monopod.
It also works as a 2nd camera mount attached to one of the legs of my tripod.

Latest threads

Top Bottom