• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Manipulated Images

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
DSC02718 (Large).JPG
ILCE-9    FE 24mm F2.8 G    24mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 800

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
View attachment 119689
The sky was kind of "meh" up at Crater Lake at sunset yesterday afternoon, so I "fixed" it with the Sky Replacement feature of Luminar. :p

Honestly, if I hadn't told you this was a fake, would you have suspected?
I would. It's from the reflection of the water.
This is the problem with the sky replacements feature both on Photoshop and Luminar. The only thing you can do is manually add it to the water.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
If that reflection were sharper it'd work for me too, but it isn't so the bluffs and their reflection are the picture to me.
I get what you're saying. But the way you've cropped it makes the composition completely unbalanced to my eye. But hey, if you're ever in the neighborhood, Crater Lake is only a couple of hours from my house. I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour, and you can shoot "your" version the of scene. :D

aKilter

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
David
Late Autumn Colors
2022-01-27_02-57-00.jpg
   ---            

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
The sky was replaced in Photoshop using Sky Replacement feature. Everything on the water was copied from the top part.
51846677333_d8b0dda3d0_b.jpg
   ---            

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I get what you're saying. But the way you've cropped it makes the composition completely unbalanced to my eye. But hey, if you're ever in the neighborhood, Crater Lake is only a couple of hours from my house. I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour, and you can shoot "your" version the of scene. :D
I've never been known to balance any of my pictures. Wouldn't know where to begin to figure how to even do that.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I've never been known to balance any of my pictures. Wouldn't know where to begin to figure how to even do that.
I don't know how deep you want to dive into this whole composition thing, but Erez Marom has just posted his second article on composition over at DPReview that deals with the subject of compositional balance. I found it a worthwhile read. As was his first article on Masses and Lines.

Brownie

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I think so... The light for real is coming from behind you and to the left. That's what it seems from the shadows. Certainly a better choice than many make for sky replacement - Sometimes those lighting choices are waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. This doesn't seem bad, but the shadows on the ground don't quite seem to match the light in the sky.
I think that it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to even check if not asked. That's the key to manipulated images. Once we're asked then yes, it's easy enough pick it over. However, had he simply posted the image I doubt I would've viewed it with such a critical eye.
The island needs to breath. I also agree with the balance comment made above. There's nothing down front at all, you need some lake to draw your eye to the island. The lake pulls you toward the subject. In this crop, my eye is drawn to the sky.

This is one of the biggest mistakes people make when cropping, and one I'm guilty of more often than I care to admit. Leaving room around the intended subject so it has some space to breath and be natural is important.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Wizard Island.jpg
ILCE-7RM4    FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS    30mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 100

Wouldn't you know it? A few days after I posted the previous version of this image, I see that Skylum has released a new version of Luminar (Luminar Neo) that includes a Reflection adjustment in their Sky Replacement feature. So I downloaded it and checked it out.

OK, NOW would any of you suspect that the sky was fake unless I alerted you to that fact?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Something still looks a little off if I ponder it for a while. I don't know, I probably would not think much of it at first glance, and at this point it is hard to say if I am just thinking I see something because I know.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
View attachment 119883
Wouldn't you know it? A few days after I posted the previous version of this image, I see that Skylum has released a new version of Luminar (Luminar Neo) that includes a Reflection adjustment in their Sky Replacement feature. So I downloaded it and checked it out.

OK, NOW would any of you suspect that the sky was fake unless I alerted you to that fact?
Yes. Because it looks like the sky doesn't belong there. The shadows that fall on the mountain and the sunlight that's coming from behind the clouds while the original photo is from the left side.
But, the reflection works well, and if you find a sky picture that has the sunlight coming from the left, I think nobody will know it. I wouldn't.

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
If this photography thing is supposed to be fun .......... then I'm getting it right.

2-22-24 JACKSONVILLE   22_1091.JPG
ILCE-7RM3    ---    19mm    f/6.3    1/160s    ISO 100
2-22-24 JACKSONVILLE   23_1092.JPG
2-22-24 JACKSONVILLE   24_1093.JPG
2-22-24 JACKSONVILLE   25_1094.JPG
   ---            

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf