• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Need some help printing...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Lots has been happening here since the first of the year.
Just got my wife a new Dell XPS computer for her to use with her sewing programs. It is slowly coming into shape as there's lots to download when it comes to her sewing programs.
One thing she'd like is a print out of what the fonts look like that are in her sewing program. She came up with the idea of taking a picture of the fonts on screen. The problem is, the camera's are picking up the matrix that makes up the screen.
How can I get a picture of the screen without the matrix showing up, or, how can I eliminate it from the image before printing?
Here is an example of what I'm working with.
DSC04217 (2).JPG
ILCE-7M3    FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS    83mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 320

I also got her a new Dell 27" monitor too so this picture is from that monitor.
Any help would be appreciated.
Three weeks in from surgery I'm doing OK, but feel like it's time for nap already.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
If this is Windows 10, IIRC, you can hit a keystroke for a screen capture and save it to a JPEG/BMP/PNG etc.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks Will, I'll see if I can figure that out.
Holding down the ALT key, and then pressing the "Print Screen" or "Pr Scr" key (Depending on what your keys have on them) will save the just the active window to the clipboard. Pressing "Print Screen" by itself saves the entire screen. You can then use Photoshop, Paint, or whatever photo editor you like than can access the clipboard to save the image.

The only trouble with this method is when you want to save a screenshot of an active menu. Then it's likely that the ALT+ method will not work, since ALT usually activates or deactivates the menus. In that case, you have to just use the Print Screen key to save the whole screen, and then crop it out in your editor.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yeah, kind of figured that out.
It is an active menu so it 'poofs' and is gone when you hit the ALT key.
The fact my wife uses a funky big key key board isn't helping either as with her dual computer set up, the key board doesn't work like a normal USB board would. I may sub in a different keyboard tomorrow and give it another try.
It's time for a nap right now.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
On Windows 10, hold the Windows key plus the shift key and press S. Then use the mouse to draw a rectangle around what you want to capture. A notification should pop up. If it disappears before you can click it, click the notification thing over by the clock to open it. Then Also copies it to the clipboard I believe. I use this often to embed screenshots in work email. Works well enough for me.

If you use this all the time you can enable it as a button in the notification area. I like the shortcut key - Windows+shift+S - because I can even capture open menus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom