New Canon 70-200 for the R system

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hi all,

I just have one question (ok, two): Have you seen the new 70-200 f/2.8 that Canon wants to release in 2019 and, more importantly, how can it be SO small???

Thanks

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Hi all,

I just have one question (ok, two): Have you seen the new 70-200 f/2.8 that Canon wants to release in 2019 and, more importantly, how can it be SO small???

Thanks
Yes, the size of it is very interesting. I guess we'll all discover how they managed it once the lens is released and into the hands of testers. Then we'll see how the internals are.
I think it could be a a double helicoid design similar to some macros. As you zoom to 200mm two barrels extend out. I have a 28-200mm Tamron zoom that performs this feat.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
My problem with all 70-200 for FF systems is that they are quite large and heavy... If Canon could deliver sth that small, I'd even consider switching to their system (as much as I don't want to).

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
My problem with all 70-200 for FF systems is that they are quite large and heavy... If Canon could deliver sth that small, I'd even consider switching to their system (as much as I don't want to).
I suspect the new Canon R zoom will be equally heavy. Due to all the glass elements. It just manages to compact itself. The double barrels will likely be plastic.
There is still a chance of a Tamron 75-200 f/2.8 in the horizon. And since they are attempting to keep the size consistently small, there is a good chance they may do the same, since they kind of introduced this design.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong, but also the Canon 24-105 f4 seems to be quite small. I also found that quite interesting, and I also believe they are doing something interesting in lens design that might even be worth a switch in the future. Basically when Canon introduces in body stabilization.

mattia

TalkEmount Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but also the Canon 24-105 f4 seems to be quite small. I also found that quite interesting, and I also believe they are doing something interesting in lens design that might even be worth a switch in the future. Basically when Canon introduces in body stabilization.
The Canon 24-105 is a smidge shorter than the Sony (107 vs 113mm, so less than a quarter inch), both have the same filter diameter and more or less the same body diameter. The Sony is actually a little bit (50 grams) lighter.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think Canon has a bunch of patents, more than any other photography company. It could be very likely Canon employed some new design or maybe using their diffractive optics.

Nikon's upcoming 70-200 2.8 S looks more like the normal 70-200 design sized similar to their F mount lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom