Shootout Sigma 14–24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art vs. Sony 16–35mm f/4

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
DSC01224.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01225.jpg

Main differences:
• The Sigma is faster (f/2.8 vs. f/4)
• The Sony is longer (35mm vs. 24mm)
• The Sigma is wider (14mm vs. 16mm)
• The Sony is lighter (518 grams vs. 795 grams)
• The Sony is shorter (98.5 mm vs. 131 mm) – but that difference disappears when zoomed in to 16mm. The Sigma zooms internally.
• The Sony focuses a little faster than the Sigma.
• The Sigma has an AF/MF switch, and a customizable button (for Eye-AF, etc.)

Anyway, I set up my camera on a tripod, turned off IBIS, set a 5 sec. timer, and manually focused the camera on the tall snag in the upper right corner of this frame:

DSC01248.jpg

The result? The Sigma (@ f/2.8) on the top, the Sony (@ f/4) on bottom, both zoomed to 16mm.

Comparo.jpg

That's all I needed to see. I'll be keeping the Sigma.

Last edited:

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
This is one Sigma lens that isn't horribly big and heavy, and image quality is probably better than the Sony 4/16-35mm across the zoom and aperture ranges. Interesting, price is also good IMHO, very close to what I paid for a new FE 4/16-35mm some years ago. To be honest, I wouldn't have decided as quickly as you which one I'd prefer, especially zoom lenses can give you some nasty surprises. I think I would test across the zoom range wide open and at f/8 at least before picking one over the other.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
To be honest, I wouldn't have decided as quickly as you which one I'd prefer, especially zoom lenses can give you some nasty surprises. I think I would test across the zoom range wide open and at f/8 at least before picking one over the other.
I agree, Ad. And I did do a bunch of brick wall and other tests on the Sigma at various ranges and apertures. I’m too lazy to prep all of the images for display here. But bottom line: it skated through all of them. This outdoor test was the second comparison I did with the Sony, and the last. The other one was indoors, testing different corners on a bookshelf. And in all of the tests, the Sigma handily beat the Sony, at least in corner performance. The centers were more evenly matched. But the images above are representative of what I encountered across the board.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Wow the Sigma 14-24mm actually looks more like a native lens and not a DSLR lens with the adapter welded to it! Sharpness looks great on it as well! ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom