Review Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens Review

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
The Sony 90 macro is very resistant to veiling flare as shown in this image of a backlit tree:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ƒ/2.8 90.0 mm 1/60 200

Compare that to the same image taken with my adapted Olympus Zuiko OM 90mm f/2 macro, which gives up quite a bit of contrast in this lighting:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ƒ/2.8 90mm 1/100 200
I was just going through my collection of clippings from Modern Photograph reviews, I just noticed that the OM 90mm Macro is actually listed as having low contrast until f/4. I know this particular comparison is as much about coatings and flare as anything else, but now I'm curious about how the OM 100mm would do. It's on my list of legacy lenses to try out one of these days...

Anyway, just a thought.

Attachments

Marve Almar

New to TalkEmount
On a general note, I plan to do more lens reviews and would love to get some feedback on the overall approach / format. I don't have the time or interest to do exhaustive, technical reviews. My goal here was to provide a video showing lens size / build / controls followed by some comments about user experiences and some images representative of image quality / character.

The images display up to 1600px wide on a large display, which stretches the text and makes the review a bit bandwidth intensive but has the advantage of being able to tell more about the pics without showing 100% crops or needing to click for larger. Meanwhile, there are full-res versions on click through for those who want to see the details. Does this format work?
I really like this kind of tests, well done! Deep technical reviews and MTF charts are useless to me as there are usually other aspects that decides wether I like a lens or not. My kind of shooting is also very similar to yours with mostly family shots. Keep up the good work:thumbup:

Latest posts

Top Bottom