• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony Trade-in Promotion 2/3 through 3/30

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Sony USA Trade-up Deals & Rebates Coming at Midnight!

Running 2/3/2019 through 3/30/2019.I do not know if this is happening outside the US or not.

An equivalent promo is how I did my last update from A6000 to A7ii. I could get an A7iii for $1600 (using a lens) less whatever I could get for the A7ii. Nothing wrong with my A7ii, but there are some nice features and a little better DR so even for a mostly-manual shooter like me... man oh man... must... resist... somehow...

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
The A7iii is an amazing tool! Huge difference with the A7ii. And for a price like that, its difficult to resist :D

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The A7iii is an amazing tool! Huge difference with the A7ii. And for a price like that, its difficult to resist :D

Well you're no help, lol. :rofl:

On a more serious note, I can read the specs all day but what do you find "huge"? I am a mostly manual shooter (lens and camera control). So autofocus is not real meaningful for me. What else are you noticing?
* That BSI sensor with about an extra stop of DR and better low light - does sound nice on a technical level but is it a significant step up in what you can capture or in the finished image quality?
* Not a video guy so 4k while nice is not big for me.
* Battery of course is much improved.
* As a hobbyist dual slots is not compelling.
* I think I would like the improved menus and customization.
* Oh I just remembered silent shutter - I would like that.
* I would miss a few apps I have a little, though the upcoming firmware will put an intevalometer in firmware.

I think it might be hard to get a decent price on the A7ii while this is going on, but I am thinking pretty hard about it. $1600 for an A7iii is such a good deal. Even thought about an A7Riii but that is probably too big a stretch for me.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This would have to come up NOW.
I just spent a lot on sewing machines for my wife, who asked if I was going to say 'Oh, and by the way, I want to buy this..'
I said "No, I'm not going to say that."
Of course now I'm regretting that.
I'd like better low light performance.
The silent shutter would help in taking pictures of sleeping grand children, when they come to visit from afar. The better auto focus would be really nice too, as kids move faster than I can now days.
The video would be cool too, although I've gotten along with the 1080p so far just fine.
I would like to get 'something' for my A7ii, and this seems to be the perfect way to do that.
The improved battery life would be nice too, not that I've ever had a problem with it, so far, with the A7ii.
Dang.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
There now appears to be some confusion over how much of a discount there is on an A7iii specifically. Brian Smith's page shows $200 rebate plus $200 trade-in bonus, as did some of the photo vendor sites last night when I looked. But looking just now, the only vendor I see still showing the $200 rebate is Adorama (everyone still has the $200 trade-in bonus though). So I would probably wait a little until the dust settles on Monday and see what is really on the table.

Note that the trade-in bonus is for any working interchangeable lens digital camera or lens for such a camera. So you want to trade something that is worth less than the bonus. e.g. you could even pick up some old lens or ILC camera off of ebay, craig's list, or whatever for cheap to get the trade-in bonus.

Arutemu

TalkEmount Veteran
Out of interest, I tried getting a quote for my A7R II. Their offer - $620. For A7R II, for f...'s sake!
Just ridiculous. And somewhat insulting. Not happening.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I am not surprised actually. The big sites always offer way less for trade-in gear than what you could get on a private sale. I only see these as advantageous if you have something lying around for which whatever they give you plus a trade-in bonus is worth more than the private sale. Or if you can pick up a qualifying item that works out the same.

Latest threads

Top Bottom