• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

The Do's & Don'ts of Memory Cards

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
The Do's and Don'ts of Memory Cards: Tips for Photographers

snipit:

"And now for the tips, which I am going to write in the order of importance:

#1. Do NOT erase images from your memory card in your camera!
Clarification: What I mean by this is: Do not go through your photos and delete them one by one using your camera.

I see people (including professional photographers) doing this all the time and it is a really bad idea. Your camera is awesome at taking photos, but it is not very smart at managing the data on your memory card. Deleting individual images from the card using your camera is a great way to scramble the FAT Table. Don’t do it!

And heck, memory cards have gotten so inexpensive and large, that you should not have to delete images to save space. Just pop in a new card and keep shooting. Once you have downloaded to your computer and backed up the images, then format your card to use it again."

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
I used to format my cards in the camera but I stopped doing that: the A7R2 stores memory settings (M1...M4) on the card and these are lost on format. I now put the card back in the camera after offloading my pictures to the PC and delete all photos at once (Delete -> All in this folder). I can imagine that deleting single images may not be a good idea, with a large enough capacity there's no need.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I used to format my cards in the camera but I stopped doing that: the A7R2 stores memory settings (M1...M4) on the card and these are lost on format.
Seriously?!!! I did not know that. The truth is, I've only occasionally experimented with memory settings, and have never used them in real shooting situations. But that seems absurd. What could they possibly be thinking? :hmmm:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I do not have an Ax body but as I understand it, you have memory banks 1 and 2 which are on camera, and M1-M4 which are stored on the card. The only way I would see that as being useful is if you had certain cards you used for certain shooting situations and wanted specific settings for it. But who does that?

As far as deleting single images, I occasionally do that and as far as I can recall have never ever had a problem with the Sony or Canon bodies I have used. Maybe it is only Lexar cards that have an issue, lol (I normally buy Sandisk). I use USB to move images/video from card to computer, which works fine but playback gets a bit weird if you forget to then format the cards (on the camera of course). This is due to an image database the camera maintains on the card and is not a FAT corruption thing. I also often charge over USB, which is the only way out-of-the-box with the A6000, but I do have an external charger as well.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I delete single pics in camera all the time and never had an issue but its good to know...

Informative thread nevertheless

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I delete files in-cam as well and never ran into any problems. I usually delete some more files on the PC, copy the rest onto my main SSD and once the cards are full I keep them as second or third backups, just in case.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I had a Wasabi battery swell up while charging it in camera. I managed to pry it out, but that experience soured me on the practice. Fortunately Wasabi sent me two free batteries after I reported the problem to them. And the new ones have not only been trouble-free, but hold a charge better than my Sony batteries.

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I've read where the batteries have swelled up and are hard to remove when charged in camera.
If a battery is going to have a problem during charging, I'd rather it be out of my camera, not inside it.
YMMV.
I know this thread is a year old but I'm new here. I own two cameras that the batteries can be only be charged in the body. They didn't come with a charger just a USB cord.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I know this thread is a year old but I'm new here. I own two cameras that the batteries can be only be charged in the body. They didn't come with a charger just a USB cord.

You can find aftermarket external chargers like the Vivitar branded one, for about $10 online. Comes with a travel adapter and 12V cigarette lighter plug. The same charger without branding is about $5 on ebay. But given the need of multiple W batteries for a day's shooting, a dual external charger has proven invaluable. I picked up an Andoer USB fast dual charger off ebay, and IIRC, it was under $10. It needs 2.1A 5V source. Most new aftermarket USB adapters now come with 2.1-2.4A output for Apple. What's nice is how much quicker it charges up 2 batteries, can be used in a car, or even with a portable power bank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom