• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

WWYD? 10 days in Iceland (summer), what lenses to bring?

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
A few limiting factors:

1). I travel cheap, and therefore light. Carry-on only, so I won't have room for a large kit
2). Travelling with kiddos so, while they are used to me taking time to get pics, I won't always have the time I might want to spend on setting up every shot. Planning on a mix of careful and happy snaps.
3). I love my manual lenses, and tend to go to them first. That said, sometimes an AF lens is the best thing ever.
4). I'm cheap. Travelling with 3 kids is costly enough (yes, we will be camping, kids, suck it up), so no big budget for fancy stuff. Could stretch to rent a lens if I really needed to, but am generally disinclined.

I have an A7Rii and an a6000. My youngest (9yo) likes to shoot, so will likely be using the a6000 at least some of the time.

Lenses I currently have that I am considering bringing:

AF:
16-50 OSS kit lens (a6000)
FE 50mm f1.8

MF:
Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4 (definitely coming, it's a fav)
Konica Hexanon AR UC 80-200 mm f4 (quite decent, but heavy, and no tripod ring)
Konica Hexanon AR 2x teleconverter (also quite decent)
Minolta Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8
Tokina SD 400mm f5.6 (big, heavy, but not terribly so. About the size of a Sony 70-200)

Other lenses I have but likely won't bring:
Konica 50mm f1.8
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Konica 35mm f2.8
Jupiter-8 50mm f2
Tamron 70-210mm f3.8-4 (lighter than the Konica zoom and quite decent, but flares more, less contrast and not quite as sharp)

Alternative: rent a lens, possibly a 24-70 Zeiss? Or, rent on the long end, 70-200 f4? Gets pricey for 10+ days, though, and the risk of loss/damage makes that pricier.

What would you do?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
While I haven't shot a lot with it, I like the ease of use the Sony 28-70 lens I recently bought gives me. It might not be quite as sharp as some of mine MF primes but the range of length and the auto focus more than make up for it. You can find them pretty cheap too. They aren't heavy either.

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I've thought about picking one up, mostly for use on the a6000, as the crop sensor cuts out the softer edges and uses the better part of that lens' field of view. Plus, it's weather sealed, has OSS and it's pretty cheap. But then, I think about spending the coin on that versus something like a Sigma 16 or 30 1.4, or even a Sony 35 1.8, and....

Something to consider, for sure! If only I could swap my 16-50 for it....

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
Add-it: I have just arranged to acquire a 24mm f2.8 Minolta MC W Rokkor, so that will come with. Haven’t decided whether to keep the 28, I guess I’ll decide after shooting with both a bit.

Right now, I’m thinking:

A7Rii with the 24 Rokkor, 57 Konica, 80-200 Konica and TC

A6000 with Sony 16-50 and FE 50 1.8

On the fence about the 80-200 and TC, or just the Tokina 400 prime. Fe 50 gives 75mm equivalent on the a6000, and I don’t imagine I’d shoot much between that and really long tele. Similar weight, in total (zoom + TC).

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I guess I don't see the desire to bring along any of the long focal lengths. If you must pack light, and have kids to tend to, lugging and swapping those lenses (I have the Tokina 400, and a similar 80-200 f/4 Yashica ML.) will be no fun. Besides, I assume most of the scenery in Iceland will be best captured by wider focal lengths.

a6000 with the 16-50 is a requisite. The FE 50-f/1.8 is a redundant focal length, but will provide low light performance and option for the A7RII.
I think you can probably get away with the 24mm f/2.8, 57mm f/1.4 and the 2x teleconverter. 24mm is a must for the FF wide end. I think it's better than the 28mm composition wise. On the a6000, it becomes a 35mm with a slightly faster aperture. 57mm becomes a fast portrait ~85mm. The 2x gives you a 114mm f/2.8 FF. And 171mm on the a6000. I think this will cover your mid telephoto needs.
You have 24-75mm with AF and OSS from the a6000. 75mm AF, manual-focus 35mm, 85mm, 171mm.
FF provides 24mm 50mm, 57mm, and 114mm.

If this is still concerning you as coming up short, then leave the 57mm home, since the FE 50-f/1.8 is an alternative. Take the 80-200mm and 2x.
From my experience, the long focal lengths rarely get used much. Unless you have plans in mind for specific venues.

But whatever you do, take enough batteries! ;) And at least a small tripod. Table top model if you must. I don't know how many potential shots I missed by packing light and leaving a tripod at home.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Camping in Iceland. I was in Iceland for a couple of days a couple of years ago. I would recommend whatever focal lengths you generally like to use. You will find plenty of images there that are just right for the filed of view you tend to prefer. I wold have liked to have a slightly longer focal length than I had when I went to see some waterfalls there.

I love to hear that your 9 yo likes to shoot. This could be an amazing time for both of you!

Be sure to take time to enjoy the wonderful people there!

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I have, generally, spent the vast majority of my shooting working in the 50mm-ish range. It is where I am comfortable, but the most enjoyment I've had in learning this whole photography thing has been in getting out of the comfortable zone and diving into new challenges.

I really haven't spent enough time with wide angle shooting, in small part because I haven't had wider lenses that I found exciting and was thus inspired to use more. I have had a few captures with the 28 Konica Hexar that I really liked (and are some of my favorites, even though I haven't loved that lens generally), and I am getting increasingly amped about learning to work in wider perspective. I have the 28 Rokkor on my A7Rii now, and anticipate it remaining there for a while (well, at least until the 24 arrives).

I almost can't imagine leaving the Konica 57 at home (it's really my favorite), but I think you might be right that it is really redundant with the FE50. I will definitely bring the FE, it's a great combo of light, small, sharp and great for low light. Plus, I can imagine it being invaluable to have on my camera when we are cruising around towns and I want to catch street shots on the fly. I'll have to think some more about whether I leave the 57 at home, then.

On the tele end, I can't seem to shake the feeling that there will be some shots I really want the long lens for, but there is also a part of me that is thinking I should challenge myself to do the trip just in wide, and pack even lighter.... That might look like the 16-50 on the a6000, the 24 on the A7Rii, and the FE50 in the bag just in case.

I have a tabletop tripod that will definitely come with, and will be picking up a travel tripod as well (I broke my current one). I know I will be using that a fair amount for the landscape shots.

Reactions: WNG

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I love to hear that your 9 yo likes to shoot. This could be an amazing time for both of you!

I know! He helped me take some stage shots of a friend's band for their website, and did a great job with the a6000 and FE50. Here's one of his favorites that he took:

ORG_DSC03159.jpg
ILCE-6000    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/80s    ISO 125

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Sounds like for the best coverage and least luggage, keep the 57mm and 2x TC at home, but take the Konica 80-200mm just in case.
FE 50mm resides on the A7RII, 24mm at the ready. Too bad you'll still need to take two adapters (Minolta and Konica).

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I like to travel light and I should think Iceland much like when I went through the American SW has a lot of BIIIIIIG vistas. I shot everything on that trip with a single WA (and 18/2 on APS-C) and it was great. I never felt like I was missing out. Like you, I tend to shoot MF mostly so I would think that Minolta 24/2.8 you picked up would be good. 24mm on FF and 36mm on APS-C.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don’t know. I’ve seen a bunch of great shots from Iceland (I’ve only been to Reykjavik airport once, way back in my dissolute hippie days, on a required stop-over with Icelandic Airlines) taken with long lenses. So I think at least one ~200mm option might be worth carrying with you. You never know what might show up in your field of view. And when are you ever going to get back there?

Latest threads

Top Bottom